In my household, we have seen our fair share of the common cold. Ever since my son started nursery school he has brought every germ known to man back home. As much as I tried to stay on top of it he has been coming home with colds every other week and passing them on to my daughters. Since there is no real cure for the common cold, I have taken it upon myself to help with the discomforts my babies go through during this whole ordeal by finding the most natural ways to give them some comfort.
- Cool mist humidifiers seem to work wonders when their noses get clogged during naps and bedtime. My favorite one at the moment is the Dyson humidifier. It blows cool air and cleanses the air of impurities at the same time. You can also adjust the humidity level. The huge game changer for me is not having to change filters in the humidifier. Humidifiers help keep the nose passageway from getting swollen, which then causes babies to have a hard time breathing.
- The Nose Frida is the Cadillac of nasal aspirators. It seems pretty disgusting to try and suck your baby’s boogers with a tool you must insert in your mouth but trust me, it’s the best thing out there and it has a filter to keep the gunk from entering your mouth. I’m all for whatever we can do to make our babies feel better and us getting more sleep at night. Find the Nose Frida via our affiliate link here.
- Boogie Wipes are the best to wipe my kiddos boogies. Since they have yet to learn how to blow their noses we are constantly wiping which equals, red irritated noses. The Boogie Wipes are soft and have a very faint sweet smell so your children won’t mind being wiped. My favorite part is that they contain saline which helps soften those boogers that just won’t budge and keep the nose unclogged. Find Boogie Wipes via our affiliate link here.
- Vicks Vapor Rub if you grew up in a Latino household you know this is the staple to every cure. My mother used it for EVERYTHING. It definitely helps my children breathe better. I rub Vicks Vapor Rub on their chest, back, and on the soles of their feet and then put on a pair of socks. Find Vicks Vapor Rub via our affiliate link here.
- I am obsessed with Zarbee’s over the counter products because since we know that there are no medications that can be given for the common cold which, sometimes come accompanied by annoying coughs I am LOVING the Zarbee’s Children’s Natural Cough Syrup. It’s gentle enough for my toddlers and it works for my pre-schooler. Plus, it’s homeopathic. You can find it via our affiliate link here.
- Halls Kids Pops Cough and Sore Throat Pops help soothe those tiny sore throats. They come in fun flavors and your kids think they are getting a treat when in reality it’s a soothing aide for their throats. It’s a win, win! You can find these via our affiliate link here.
- Culturelle Kids Probiotics are a major key because I cannot stress the importance of building your child’s immune system more than you already know. They come in little packets that you can sprinkle on any cold foods like yogurt or applesauce. You can find these via our affiliate link here.
- I love elderberry. When I see the first signs of my children starting a cold these little packets army go to and act as a buddy for their immune system to help battle the cold. I use it in two forms, Zarbee’s Naturals Children’s Elderberry Gummies andNature’s Way Samucus Organic Elderberry Extract I add a couple of drops of the extract to their juices or smoothies. You can find these via our affiliate links here and here.
- Last but not least, I keep my kids hydrated as much as possible as it helps with the thickening of the mucus.
I hope you found these tips helpful. Hang in there mamas! I know you probably feel like you have been battling these colds forever but it will be gone before you know it. Breathe easy!
If you have any suggestions for natural remedies for the common cold, please let me know in the comments.